Nobody knows who painted this lovely watercolour of the church from the heath. (It was found, and photographed, by Tim Groves of Sheringham who can't remember where he was at the time!).

It shows a mill which was destroyed in a gale soon after 1840. This picture, and another (thought to be by Thirtle), are the only known visual reminders of a mill that once stood on the same level as the church. To read Tony Palmer's report on his search to find out about this mysterious mill, click here

The mill on the marsh (also long since gone) was a favourite picture post-card view before the 1st World War, and is better represented: To see some of the many views of it, click here

 

Back to map or back toHome page
or the complete SITE MENU

Val Fiddian 2005