Ivy Hall in Purdy Street Salthouse

Salthouse Hall, once the home of the Purdy family who gave their name to Purdy Street,

In 1838 William Purdy was the occupier of Salthouse Hall and owner of the 440 acres of farm land
of which a large part was farmed by Robert Purdy until his death in 1857 aged 50.
William
Purdy lived on as owner till 1884 when he died at the age of 81. Elizabeth Purdy survived him.

The Hall was known as Ivy Hall before the 1st World War. The occupants were  tenant farmers to the Deterdings of Kelling  who  owned the property and the land. Henri Deterding was lord of the manor of Kelling and Salthouse.

 

Tom Woodhouse and Jakey matthews, teammen for Horace Foulger, outside the Hall

Tom Woodhouse and Jakey Matthews, team men, outside Ivy Hall when Horace Foulger was the farming occupant

 

 

Salthouse Hall before the First World War

The Hall from the road a few years later, presumably when the Ross family were the occupants.

When the Hall Farm land was given over to be converted into smallholdings for the Salthouse men returning from World War I, the Hall itself  was put up for sale. It was bought by Frederick Champion de Crespigny and his wife Mabel, whose  brother, Commander Frank Stagg,  frequently came to stay at the Hall and apparently fell in love with Salthouse. He  devoted himself to many years  of researching and writing  a history of the village from Domesday up until 1840. In 2003 the Salthouse History Group was able to publish his manuscript in a grand collection of Salthouse memorabilia.

 

After Commander Frederick de Crespigny left Salthouse,  the Hall was bought by a family from Sheffield  called Hawley who ran it for a time as a Guest House.

 

 

Salthouse Hall standing empty


After the Hawleys left, the Hall stood empty and forlorn for several years.

close window to return to the village map

or back to Salthouse history Home page

or go to the COMPLETE SITE MENU for all pages

Val Fiddian 2005