This is the village section of the plan,
the original copy of which shows only numbers of fields and properties corresponding to the fields listed by Stagg in his manuscript. Where the numbers are discernable, the field names have been superimposed and,
in addition, the road names of 1838
have been marked (with their modern names in brackets).
NB Nowadays ‘Church Lane’ refers to the approach to the church from Cross Street.to see a modern day photo of these fields from the air Click here


The Nineteenth Century
 people living in the village in 1838

from F.N.Stagg's Salthouse History

 


 



< click this thumbnail to see this portion
of the Edward Houghton map showing the houses in existance in 1838 more clearly

 
In the survey made by Edward Houghton in 1838, the village is classified under four roads which were then called Holt Road, Church Lane,* Kelling Road and Cley Road.
In Holt Road
(now Purdy Street) lived the big farmer Robert Purdy at the Hall. He occupied a farmhouse and a dwelling-house and farmed 440 acres. Also: John Moy the glazier, Thomas High, Thomas Ives and William Pigott.
In Church Road* (now Grout’s Lane) lived George Larner Neave, the miller (working the mill belonging to Parlett Starling), Thomas Proudfoot, Peter Grout (junior), James Tinker, Robert Woodhouse, Charles Moore, Thomas Andrews and James Hancock. There were also two unoccupied cottages in this lane.
In Kelling Road (now Cross Street) lived John Francis Johnson in the Manor House (farming 360 acres, partly with his partner John Bolding), William Dew, the grocer (in James Massingham’s house), James Hardingham, the grocer (in Mary Waller’s), James Hancock (junior) (who kept a beer shop and bakery in Samuel Hancock’s house), Lewis Fenn, Thomas Dix, James Pooley, .
 

Robert Farthing, James Massingham, Ann Bastard, Mary Mack, James Lynn, Elizabeth Pratt, John Gibbs, Eliz. and Mary Meck, Jonathan Vial, John Jary, Robert Bone, William Dix, and Ann Spence. One house unoccupied (probably the Manor farmhouse),

In Cley Road (now the Coast Road) was a chapel leased by the Ranters Society,* and close to it were evidently three tenements belonging to Francis Pegg (who lived in one and leased the others to Philip Keymer and John Matthews). Also living in Cley Road were: Thomas Dew (senior), Robert Spence the wheelwright (on his own property), William Keymer (junior), Peter Williams publican of the ‘Dun Cow’ (which belonged to William Hardy of Letheringsett), Edward Spence, James Moy, William Cubitt, John Parfrement, John Moy (junior), William Keymer, John Proudfoot, Edward Payne the blacksmith (on Thomas Purdy’s property), Robert Nurse, Robert Spence, Thomas Dew (junior), George Bridges, Robert Matthews the blacksmith (on Edward Painter’s property), Widow Blogg, Benjamin Overton, William Lowne, David Jary, Thomas Parlett, Jennis Lowne and John Dix.

  * Stagg has ‘Church Lane’ and then ‘Church Road’ in his MS —referring to what is now Grout’s Lane.
 
 

 

Back to start of Frank Stagg's account of the 16th century

 

Val Fiddian 2005