This is (a hand drawn copy of) a map of the Salthouse marshes
made by John Hunt, a surveyor in 1649

Rough Brough Hill John Hunt's 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map John Hunt's 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map
1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map Flatt Eye is a great expanse of arable land, bigger than Gramborough Hill 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map
Wall Shawe Hill is called Walcey hill today Salt Hill is the small green blob the village of Salthouse. The two village crosses are clearly marked, and the church has a spire 1649 Salthouse Channel Map 1649 Salthouse Channel Map John Hunts explanation of his map to read itclick on the writing

        Here is a readable reproduction of the map made by John Hunt in 1649. The original map is the property of Paul Long, who very kindly allowed it to be photographed and copied.

return to 1st map page
or go to home page

Val Fiddian 2005