1

Beach road across Salthouse marshes c 1920.

 
   

This old postcard shows the  raised plank walkway that enabled the first World War soldiers to march to the Rocket House when the road was flooded.

The two 'eyes' that can be seen on the sky-line, are: 'Little Eye', on the left and 'Great Eye' on the right. The castle-like building on Great Eye is the famous Folly built by the Lord of the manor, the equally famous Onesiphorus Randall.
In the 1800s it was known as 'Randall's Folly'.

   
 

 

For a close-up of the Folly on Great Eye, click here.
Or back to village map or home page

   
       


Home page

Val Fiddian 2005