contact
people
history
maps
floods
views



Elizabeth Pigott née Pane

Gabriel's wife Elizabeth

This is the lady who used to clear the flue of her cooking range by tossing a wad of gun powder into the furnace and holding the door shut with the poker while it exploded! She married Gabriel Pigott in 1830 and in 1851 they went to live in the house in Cross Street which had been the alms house belonging to the church.

Two old couples had occupied it with one room downstairs, with a fireplace at each end of it.

The squire John Francis Johnson bought it,  and Gabriel and Elizabeth were the first tenants. Gabriel planted a pear tree in the garden and called it  'Pear Tree Cottage'. 


 

   
close window  

© Val Fiddian 2005