The 1930s view from the marsh just the other side of the creek, or ' the Crick' as it was referred to in the old days (official name 'Ditchwater Drain').
The cottages lining the coast road at the eastern end of the village are seen here as they were in the years before the terrible flood of 1953.
The raging flood-water was up to the ceilings of the ground floor rooms, marooning the people who had fled upstairs. Most of these cottages have elaborate wash-houses at the front and other out buildings - the Bakery, on the left of the picture, has a sloping outhouse where fodder was kept for the horses among other things. In the next picture, taken some time after the flood, all the wash-houses have been swept away and the rubble of their remains is still lying there. The bakery though has been cleaned up and had a new wing built onto it where the baker used to have a single-storey coal-house.